Thursday

Chocolate Chip Bread and Butter Pudding

Ok, I know it's January, we are supposed to be detoxing and eating only mung beans and salad leaves but I am craving comfort food!  So, I apologise, but here it is... 
Bread and butter pudding, for me, has to be in the top ten list of comfort foods, not least because it is very simple to put together, this one particularly.
If I have any of my honey bread leftover it is perfect in this but I often make it with those bought brioche rolls that can be easily found in the supermarket bread aisle.  As the bread used here is quite rich there is really no need for the bread to be buttered, thus cutting down on calories, ha ha!


Serves 4 to 8 depending on greediness

Ingredients
5-6 Thick Slices of Honey Bread or 5-6 Brioche Rolls
100g Chocolate, Dark or Milk, whichever you prefer, chopped
500ml Whole Milk (or half milk half cream for extra richness)
2 Large Eggs
50g Caster Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • Cut each slice of bread into four or slice each brioche roll horizontally into 3 slices.
  • Layer alternate slices of bread and chopped chocolate in an ovenproof dish (mine is round and approx. 18cm in diameter).
  • In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla extract then add the milk or milk and cream, mix thoroughly then pour this slowly over the bread and chocolate.
  • Gently press the bread down with the back of a spoon and leave it to absorb the custard mixture for about an hour, squashing it down occasionally.  Preheat the oven to 175C.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes until risen, puffy and golden brown on the top.
  • Let it cool for 10ish minutes then serve with cold pouring cream.  It's also rather moreish cold!

4 comments:

  1. This recipe was amazing! Thank you for sharing, it tasted so good and was really moreish. Was very easy to make as well, the whole family loved it! Will definitely make again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment Amy! I find it really moreish too, it doesn't last long in my house! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I made this the other night. It was so simple and absolutely delicious. I used choc chip brioche rolls, and semi skimned milk. We all loved it. Thank you.
    Alix

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely recipe! I used brioche rolls and left over bread. Also 3 eggs as had slightly more bread. Finally used milk and white chips as that was what I had in. Yum! From the kids to the big kid a big hit!

    ReplyDelete