Saturday

Double Chocolate Cookies

These are, in my mind, the best type of cookies. Soft and slightly chewy in the middle with a bit of a crunch around the edge...yum yum.
They are best eaten on the same day and this recipe makes about 20 cookies so I often bake them in two batches.  Saving half the dough in the fridge for a few days or freezing it for up to a month.  A second fresh batch of cookies can then be produced with ease (and a little domestic smugness) whenever they are needed.....    

 
Ingredients
125g Butter (I always use spreadable)
125g Caster Sugar
75g Light Muscovado Sugar
225g Self Raising Flour
25g Cocoa
1 Large Egg
1 tablespoon Golden Syrup
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Up to 200g Chocolate (dark, milk or white)
  • Pre-heat oven to 175C and line a baking sheet with greaseproof/baking paper (this is fairly essential as they tend to spread too much if baked directly on the metal baking sheet).
  • Cream together the butter and sugar then beat in the egg, syrup and vanilla extract.
  • Sieve in the flour and cocoa and mix in until you have a stiff dough.
  • Chop up all the chocolate, leaving some chunky bits then mix it all into the dough.
  • Using a spoon, scoop out golf ball sized balls of dough and put them on the lined baking sheet with a decent amount of space in between them to allow for spreading.
  • Bake for 12-14 minutes until puffed and wobbly in the middle and slightly firmer at the edges.  They won't seem done but they collapse down and firm up very quickly on cooling.  If you want them squidgy in the middle it's important not to overcook them.
  • Leave the cookies on the baking sheet for a few minutes then transfer to a plate or rack to cool, or for as long as you can resist them....

Note: The cookies in the picture have had melted white chocolate trickled over them when cool, just to make them a little more special!




10 comments:

  1. Really gorgeous recipe, thank-you. We've followed your advice, and frozen half of the mix.
    Satsuma sized dough-balls spread out to 8-10cms, so got 6 off a baking sheet. May go smaller next time, but they were lush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm delighted that you tried them and they worked out well!! My balls of dough are normally smaller than satsuma size I think....possibly more the size of an apricot? I'll be more specific, thank you so much for the feedback!

      Delete
    2. Hmm these sound scrumptious, cant wait to try them at the weekend

      Delete
  2. Fantastic, let me know how they are!
    I'm also working on a gluten-free version....watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look really scrummy! Might have a go at making some this weekend. If I do I'll let you know how I get on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, we met in the Wild Food Company, Malmesbury last Thursday. How did you get on with the Gluten free flour? Great blog by the way! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, thank you for commenting! I'm on my second experimental batch now, the first wasn't quite right! I think I've cracked it this time, I've altered the recipe slightly as the gluten-free flour is slightly different to work with isn't it?
      You should get blogging too! x

      Delete
  5. Hi Helen

    We made these today and YUUUUUMMMMY, I've had to put some of them in the freezer to stop me eating them all. I've frozen them in cookie form though not dough, do you think this will wreck them?

    Thanks for the fab recipe.

    Liz
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The girls have made these loads of times. We've frozen the mixture then defrosted it which is great. We've added different ingredients to the main ones, always work out brilliantly. A great lunch box treat. Highly recommended. Xx

    ReplyDelete