Tuesday

Crunchy Salmon Nuggets

I firmly believe that children will eat most things that are breadcrumbed and fried, although I am yet to test that belief to any extreme!  I probably make either chicken or fish nuggets about once a week and like to involve my 4 year old in the making of them, I think he likes the process of dipping in one bowl then another.  Admittedly this process takes a bit of time so if I'm feeling particularly efficient I'll make a batch and freeze them in children's meal-sized portions.
For the breadcrumbs, I sometimes use bought Panko-style Japanese ones or I make my own very easily in a mini-chopper from slightly stale bread (I've made them by grating the bread on a box grater in the past too).
It's not really a recipe, it's more a process that can be used for many foods once you get into breadcrumbing!  I do recommend trying salmon though....


Ingredients
Salmon (or anything you think would benefit from being breadcrumbed)
A bowl of plain flour
A bowl with a beaten egg lightened with a splash of milk
A bowl of breadcrumbs (see above)
Oil for frying

  • Cut the salmon (or alternative) into bite-size pieces.
  • Dip each piece into the flour (shake to remove any excess), then the egg, then the breadcrumbs, pressing and turning for maximum coverage.  You can use your fingers for this but you will end up with thickly breadcrumbed fingersI use tongs for the flour bowl (to shake effectively) then a fork for the egg bowl and another fork for the breadcrumb bowl. 
  • You can then either fry them in enough oil to cover the bottom of a frying pan or bake them on an oiled baking tray in a hot oven.  The frying takes 3-4 minutes each side on a medium heat until golden brown or they bake in 10-15 minutes turning halfway through.
  • It's also worth mentioning that these are delicious for adults too...maybe add a touch of salt and pepper to the flour then serve with sweet chilli sauce or mayonnaise for dipping...yum!

2 comments:

  1. My little girl will do fish fingers but not normally any other kind of fish so was over the moon when she wolfed these down, she is normally an incredibly annoyingly picky eater. Easy to do and good to know what she is eating rather than shop bought fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fab Liz, they always disappear pretty quickly here too! Now I just need to master breadcrumbed broccoli!

    ReplyDelete